This recipe is great for Halloween or Thanksgiving! Or any time, of course. If you’ve ever accidentally bought “Pumpkin Pie Filling” instead of pure pumpkin puree and don’t know what to do with it, this recipe will use it up!
Easy Pumpkin Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream (33-36% fat)
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- ¾ cup pumpkin pie filling
- Optional mix-ins (see below)
Set up an ice bath by placing a 2 quart (2 liter) bowl in a larger bowl partially filled with ice and water, and place a strainer on top.
Pour cream into the ice bath bowl (the empty one).
Whisk egg yolks in a separate bowl.
Heat the milk, sugar, salt, and egg yolks in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom, until the custard thickens enough to coat your spatula (160-170F).
Strain the custard into the heavy cream. Stir over the ice until cool.
Once cool, blend in a blender with the pumpkin pie filling.
Chill thoroughly in refrigerator, preferably overnight.
Churn ice cream! We love and recommend our Cuisinart churner!
We experimented with a few different mix-ins, mostly because we got a fun churner that could churn 3 small batches at the same time. (But it didn’t freeze the ice cream well, we don’t recommend it.)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 oz cream cheese
2 tbsp butter
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup crushed or diced speculoos cookies
1. Beat cream cheese and butter with mixer until creamy. It helps if they are softened at room temperature first.
2. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Set aside.
3. Proceed with above pumpkin recipe. Add crushed cookies in last 2 minutes of churning.
4. Layer in cream cheese frosting when transferring from churner to container.
Pumpkin Spice Latte:
In step 6 above, also blend in 1 heaping tablespoon of instant coffee.
Layer in chocolate sauce when transferring from churner to container.
The Pumpkin Pie was definitely our favorite!
Also, we made our first video! Hope you enjoy. Comment and let us know what you think!